2010年1月13日星期三

Children of Yesteryear(Posted article from 《Yamstick》)

Just read a short coverage on a recent event from Iris's blog. I should be part of them in the seminar, however I missed this wonderful gathering, not for the content of the event, but for the spirit behind our childhood friendship.

I hereby attach her writeup as follows:-

"Yesterday afternoon, YS tagged along with me to attend a talk at the National Library on the subject of Chinese drama groups in S'pore in the early days (from 1960s). My friends from the then Singapore Children's Playhouse constituted a majority of the audience. (photo above)

Mr Choy Long Kai (above right) was the representative speaker from our Playhouse. He delivered his rendition superbly, clear and concise, in his usual cool and composed mannerism. I would say that he is a born public speaker. Long Kai has groomed many champions in debates and oratorical contests, including me. Under his guidance, I emerged first in my Secondary School's Second Language (Chinese) Oratorical Contest, 1973. I have always been thankful towards him, even till today.

This is a photo of the dancers who showed up yesterday. Ahahaaa...... yes, I was once in the dance group! So hard to believe, right?! When my friends called out, "Now it's the dance group's turn to take photo!" and I went forward of course. Then someone chipped in, "Eeh?? You were in the dance group too?" Hahahaa...... even I had to remind myself that I was indeed in the dance group before! Oh yes, the suave guy in the front right is Dennis Quek and he had also helped in training me for the oratorical contest. I am very grateful towards him too.

After the talk, Long Kai suggested that we moved on to a Hainanese coffeeshop opposite the library to extend our gathering. We did. See the huge crowd in the photo? Kind Ming Yuan (front right) generously footed the bill! All of us thanked him profusely. It was a pleasant and happy afternoon for us all.

Flashing back, in 1971, my intention of joining the Singapore Children's Playshouse was simply to improve my Chinese. Never had I expected that I would gain much more that just improvement in Chinese. I have gained a lifetime of great friends!"

Credits: Yamstick, Iris Lim

3 条评论:

  1. 乍看下,嘿!为啥浩水的题目跟我的那么相同?!哈,原来是移花接木!:D

    回复删除
  2. 没看到“Posted article"吗?转载哩,有传播给更多读者的价值。最后还"credit"你嘞。没问题吧?

    回复删除